August 21 - icons of the Mother of God: Tolga (1314)translated

The appearance of the Tolga Icon of the Mother of God happened in 1314. Saint Prokhor, Bishop of Rostov, toured the diocese. He stopped for the night not far from Yaroslavl, on the right bank of the Volga, near the confluence of the Tolga River. At midnight the bishop suddenly woke up. He saw a bright light that illuminated the entire surrounding area. The source of the radiance was on the other side of the Tolga, to which a bridge that appeared from nowhere led.
The bishop took the staff and crossed the river. He approached the radiance and saw in its center the icon of the Most Holy Theotokos. The shocked Bishop Prokhor prayed for a long time, and when he returned back, he forgot his staff. The next day, the bishop's companions realized about the rod.
Prokhor pointed out the place where he could have forgotten him. There was no longer any bridge; the servants crossed by boat and found the bishop’s staff there, and between the trees - an icon of the Mother of God. The bishop recognized the very image that had appeared to him in the vision. After the prayer service, the forest was cleared and a church was immediately founded. Yaroslavl residents began to flock to the place of the miraculous discovery.
They immediately set to work and by evening the new church was ready. Saint Prokhor consecrated the church in honor of the Entry into the Church of the Most Holy Theotokos. Later, Tolgsky was opened at the church...






