The Feast of the Transfiguration in Historical Pilgrimages of Messiniatranslated

The Despotic feast of the Transfiguration of the Savior was celebrated with due ecclesiastical splendor in the Holy Metropolis of Messinia. The center of the celebration was the Holy Church of the Transfiguration of the Savior, in the castle ("Niokastro") of Pylos, but also the historical Andromonastir, in the Androusis region. Rev. The Metropolitan of Messinia, Mr. Chrysostomos, presided at the solemn Divine Liturgy at the celebratory Church of the Transfiguration of Christ, in Niokastro, Pylos, flanked by Archim. Irenaios Gogounis, High Priest Commissioner of Pylos and Deacon Theophilos Kyriakos. The Church of the Transfiguration of the Savior occupies a central position inside the Neokastro of Pylos. It was originally built as an Ottoman mosque under Sultan Murat III (1573-1595), while during the Second Venetian Empire (1685-1715) it was converted into a Catholic church. After the recapture of Niokastro by the Ottomans in 1715, the building was again converted into a place of Islamic worship and in April 1770, in Orlovika, it was converted into an Orthodox Christian church.
In the historic Andromonastir, the solemn Divine Liturgy was presided over by the Protosygello of the Holy Metropolis of Messinia Archim. Philippos Hamargias,...



