Protection and promotion of the Pantokrator Castle, in Prevezatranslated

The Ministry of Culture - in collaboration with the Region of Epirus and the Municipality of Preveza - is proceeding with the protection and promotion of the Castle of Pantokrator, in Preveza, after the approval of the architectural and static restoration study of the important fortified monument. The Castle of Pantokrator dominates the entrance of Amvrakikos gulf and is one of the most important examples of fortified architecture in Epirus. The Castle was built during the reign of Ali Pasha, after 1810, while studies place its completion around 1818. The outer enclosure was completed before 1830. During the 20th century, it maintained its military use, while from 1940 to 1968 it functioned as a prison, when new buildings were erected. In 1939, the Church of Saints Anargyro was built inside.
The Church of Saints Anargyri on the roof of the Fortress
The Minister of Culture Lina Mendoni stated: "The Pantokrator Castle is an important monument of the recent history of Preveza and Epirus, as it reflects successive historical periods and uses. It consists of the central pentagonal fort and the seaward enclosure, which stretches along the rocky coast…



